We’re three quarters into the year, have you been to the places you wanted to go to this year? Every New Year, we write a list of places that we’d like to visit but as the year ends, we realize that there is not one in the list that we attempted to visit. That is disheartening knowing that there are countless destinations waiting to be discovered.
If we want to discover the whole of Singapore, we can start from there but if we want to see more sights and culture, it is time that we go outside until we find places worth the long flights. If we want to visit old and inspiring places, Lonely Planet made up a list. Lonely Planet actually identified five hundred best places on earth. Lonely Planet’s whole list will be published on a book and will be released on October 6.
In the meantime, let us settle first with the top fifteen destinations on earth. Here are the destinations to be:
- Temples of Angkor Wat: The temples are in Cambodia which dated thousands of years ago. The temples are the shrine of the Hindu God Vishnu.
- Great Barrier Reef: The Great Barrier Reef in Australia is home to thousands of fishes. It is also known for its network of coral reefs.
- Machu Pichu: Machu Pichu is in Peru. This mysterious civilization attracts people because no one really knows what transpired in there.
- Great Wall of China: The Great Wall is astonishing because it stretches more than 5000 miles. These fortifications made China indestructible and untouched.
- Taj Mahal: Taj Mahal is in India famous not only for its perfect symmetry and architectural design but also as a symbol of great love.
- Grand Canyon: Grand Canyon is in America. The National Park is famous for its billions of years of geological formations.
- The Colosseum: The Colosseum is in Italy. The place will remind us of gladiators.
- Iguazu Falls: The falls is within the borders of Argentina and Brazil.
- Alhambra: The Alhambra Palace in Spain is the lasting symbol of Moorish rule in Spain during the medieval times.
- Aya Sofya: Aya Sofya in Turkey made 1500 years ago by a Byzantine Emperor. This enduring structure is a museum, church and a mosque.
- Fez Medina: People flock in Morocco because of Fez Medina – which is known for its leather and tannery.
- Twelve Apostles: The Twelve Apostles is in Australia and travellers marvel over the crumbling of the massive pillars.
- Petra: Petra is in Jordan and is considered the most famous archaeological site. This ancient city is in the middle of Red Sea and Dead Sea.
- Tikal: Tikal is in Guatemala. The place is famous because of its ruins.
- British Museum: The museum is in England. The museum houses priceless artifacts.